The counterfeit twin / false twin is oftentimes one that comes in the form of a karmic soulmate. The relationship with the counterfeit twin is actually necessary to the twin flame journey which leads to union.
During this relationship, it's often impossible to convince someone that it's a false aka counterfeit twin versus a true twin flame because the person must process and come to this realization on their own as part of their journey.
The false twin is confusing for many and I know of people who have wasted years in stagnation with false twins. The problem is, all the signs and symptoms and syncs in false twins are identical to the true twin, so it can create a lot of confusion and wasted time.
There's a long path and a short path to twin flame union. I always recommend the short path. Personally, I got stuck for the better part of a year with my own false twin so had I known then what I know now, I would have elected the short path. That's one of the reasons I do not recommend getting info from anyone unless they've gone through this journey themselves and actually are in union with their twin. Unless you've actually experienced it, it's impossible to understand the process.
The aspects that really set a counterfeit twin apart from the true twin flame are most commonly:
- The Divine Mission is absent. In twin flames, the mission will reveal it's self which is the reason twins exist at all. The mission raises the universal vibration. In false twin relationships, there will be an absence of the twin flame mission.
- Ascension seems stagnant. In twin flames, ascension is key and the twins process through ascension. If you feel like Ascension has begun but you're stuck and stagnated in confusion, it might be due to the false twin.
- Signs and syncs appear to be chasing you. In twin flames, the signs and syncs are present to guide you. They will appear to chase you around when you're on the wrong path in an attempt to get you crossed over to the right path. Then, the syncs will lessen and stop chasing once you receive the message they're sending. Many think they see certain signs or syncs when they're on the right path. The universe doesn't have that luxury of time just to send confirmations or to say hello. The universe sends you signs and syncs to get you to follow them — to your correct path. If you're being inundated with these, try going in a different or opposite direction. Once you're headed in the right direction, they should stop harassing you.
- You feel like there's definite purpose to your connection and relationship, yet the relationship is miserable or unrequited. There is purpose to the false twin relationship, definitely! It's necessary to your journey. But if you're in a situation that's somehow unrequited, or there's apparently no means to a conclusion or proactive effort on either part, then it could possibly be a false twin.
- You notice that you feel deeply connected to the person like no other before, but you can't seem to enjoy a real, mutual, happy relationship with them on all possible levels. This is another very annoying but accurate aspect of the false twin. You're perpetually waiting for something to happen. It feels like “hurry up and wait.”
- An overwhelming feeling of not being able to get the thoughts of them out of your mind, accompanied with a feeling of fear or doubt. Any fear or doubt is a telltale sign along with “who are they talking to? What are they doing? Am I going to be replaced? Will this separation ever end? Why can't I stop looking at them on the internet? Are they thinking of me?” Twin Flames kind of intuitively already know the answers to these kinds of things.
Whatever your situation is with a false twin, it's always confusing and somehow unfulfilling — yet you feel an unexplainable soul connection and unconditional love for them. This makes ending the false twin relationship very difficult. Obsessive thoughts is another telltale sign.
I hope this helps you and I wish you the best of luck on your journey.